Sunday, February 28, 2016

Secret Room

Well kitty, I found out how you got into the ventilation system. I knew there was something off about the footprint of this house. There was a secret room between the kitchen and the spare bedroom. Mark showed up here faster than I’ve ever seen him show up to a job site. I don't know if he was excited about the found square footage or the mystery of the room. The room was wired for electricity, but it was completely empty so we doubt old man Rivers knew about it. He would have had it so packed with junk there wouldn't be room to move. The only way to get into the room is through a panel in the pantry. Going in there was like going into a time capsule. It was like something out of a horror movie.
Obviously the room was a living place, but whoever was in there couldn't have been comfortable. Mark had the workers take the wall down, do you want to go look at it, kitty?
You can see where the wall was built.  It wasn't original to the house. The workers took the stuff that was hidden in here. You can see the marks on the floor where there used to be a bed, but it had been taken out obviously by the people who had built the room since no one else seemed to know about it. Look, though. You can see the marks of a chain, here and here. Someone had been chained up in here and from the marks of the chain, they had been kept here for a long time. We think it was a little girl, or at least someone with a childlike mind. There were creepy, ceramic dolls scattered all over the room. Most of them were planted facing the wall. It was like they were children put into time-out. Only one of them was facing out. It was one of those that had the eyes that rolled around in its head, but it's eyes were missing. They weren't just missing though. It was obvious someone had dug the eyes out of the doll with something sharp. There was also a desk in here. A child’s writing desk. It looked like something out of the early 1900s. Too bad it was in such rough shape. I’m sure it would have been worth something if it hadn't been so damaged. It looked like the legs had been gnawed on by something. The freaky thing about it was the teeth marks looked human.
I tried to do some research at the coffee shop this afternoon, but my laptop couldn't hold any power. I wonder if it was hit by a power surge the first day I was in the house.
Anyway kitty, I did find out this house was built in 1903 and the original owners only lived here about five years. They sold the house to a family, but my computer died before I could pull up any information on them.
I did meet a cute girl at the coffee shop, though. That’s why I was later coming back then I told you. She is a little paler than I usually like in a girl and she’s tall. I usually like short, dark-harmed girls, but Claire is almost as tall as I am and she has fiery red hair. She also has the most amazing freckle right in the middle of her cheek just below her left eye. I was transfixed by that freckle. The apple of her cheek bounced as she laughed and the freckle danced with every smile. I don't know how long we sat at the table, but the baristas kept coming up and asking us if we needed anything. At least they kept asking me if I needed anything.. Claire didn't ever order anything. Honestly, I have no idea what she even came in to the shop in the first place. When I offered to buy her some coffee she curled her lip and said she hated coffee. She couldn't even stand the smell of it. I asked her why she came into the shop she laughed and said she saw me sitting here and I looked like I had a friendly face. I wish we could have talked more, but I didn't want to leave you here by yourself much longer. I went to the bathroom and when I came back she was gone.
I hope she lives nearby. I’d love to see her again.
I think we are going to be able to tie in some plumbing here and turn this space into a bathroom. Now that we’ve taken down the false wall we can turn this room into the master bedroom. I can’t believe this room was just sitting here for so many years. Old man Rivers lived here for at least 40 years. I really don't think he kept anyone chained up in here. Did you feel that kitty? I think the draft is coming in through the ventilation system. I’m glad the HVAC guys are coming in tomorrow.  I’m tired of these drafts. And who left the door to the basement open. I told them to make sure all the locks were in place. Mmmmm, Do you smell that kitty? It smells like Claire's perfume. She smelled like a soft, sweet flower. It’s too bad the coffee shop was so close to the massage spa. The odor of smoke permeated the air and almost overwhelmed her perfume.
We only have 22 more days here kitty. I just hope we get our electricity back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Writing Prompt: Traditions

Take an opportunity to flex your writing muscle and exercise your skills. The goals of the writing prompts are: Exercise your writing ...