Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Sleep


Ugh! Kitty, go to sleep. I’ve feed you, cleaned your stitches. Petted, scratched and rubbed every part of you. I’m glad you’re feeling better, but man. We are tearing out walls tomorrow and I need to be on my game. You cried until I let you in the bedroom, but if you’re in here you need to sleep. No, stay there. You already have my favorite t-shirt; you don’t need to take over my bed, too. All right, all right. Stop crying. This is good. Look. Your bed is right there. You stay on your side of the bed and… Oh, good lord. Okay, okay. Fine, but we are going to sleep. No playing. You sure are sweet.
I know you’re just looking for warmth, but there’s something comforting in the purrs your giving me. I don’t know if my body is up for the labor this job is going to require. I thought this was going to be nothing more than some glorified housesitting. Maybe I would end up tearing into a few walls, but this is so much more. I can’t believe I’m actually excited about seeing what this house can be.
Kitty, did you actually bring a spider into this bed. No, don’t let him get away. Where is it? Where is it? There. Got it. I’m sorry kitty, but I need to change the bed. Get down. I’m going to feel creepy crawlies all over my skin all night long.
It’s taking too long to go to sleep. I feel tiny legs creeping all over me. Thanks kitty. I really needed to dream about spiders all night long. Come here. We’re going for a walk. It’s still early enough we can walk around the neighborhood. I’ll show you where I grew up. It’s just around the corner.
The moon is so far away tonight. We need to sleep through sunrise if we hope to get any work done tomorrow. It would be amazing to watch the moon dip below the horizon in the morning, but I need to be useful when the crew comes in the morning. Are you happy up there, kitty? I can’t believe your favorite place is on my shoulder. I wonder if you’re going to be able to balance up there when you get bigger. Mom was always trying to get me to like the cats she rescued. They were all cute, but I don’t think any of them could hold a candle to you.
Do you hear that, Artemus? I think the wind is speaking to us. You can almost hear the distinct voices in each of the trees. I wonder what they trees are trying to say. It’s too bad it isn’t Spring. I love the sound of the leaves whispering. Look kitty. See that big oak tree over there? I used to have a fort in that tree. I think I even fell out of it once or twice. My dad took it down before he left my mom. He said he didn’t want to have to come over and maintain it all the time. It would just give mom an excuse to call him and he didn’t want to deal with the drama. I can’t believe I spent so much time thinking he didn’t want to be married to mom anymore because I was too high maintenance. How long did it take me to figure out it was just because he was a jerk. Funny thing is kitty; I still miss him. He’s been dead five years, but I still miss him.
I ruled this street for years. I would ride my bike up and down the street until dusk. All the other kids would come to my house because my mom was the best cook. I was so cool. I had my first kiss right there behind that tree. Stacey was the cutest girl in school. We had been racing our bikes around the neighborhood, but none of us would ride past old man River’s house. She dared me to run up to the front gate and touch it. I made her promise to kiss me. I don’t know what made my heart beat faster: racing to the gate and slapping it with the palm of my hand or my inept lips caressing hers. I still remember the scratchiness of her lips against mine and hear the sigh of her breath as she leaned into me. Too bad her family moved away after that summer. It would have been nice to have a girlfriend during fifth grade.
Let’s go back home, kitty. I wonder how much Mark is going to sell the house for. It would be nice to settle in the old neighborhood. Ten thousand dollars would make a nice down payment on a house. I’m starting to get used to old man Rivers’ place. Cold spots and all. Maybe after we get done with our work tomorrow we can go to the library and do some research on the place. It would be interesting to find out who owned it before Rivers.
Did the front porch light really just go out? That’s the third bulb today. I thought Mark said those packages were brand new. And the drafts are getting ridiculous. Did you see the curtain in the kitchen just flutter? Come on kitty, the walk had enough good memories to chase the nightmares away. 26 more days. Let’s try to get some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Writing Prompt: Traditions

Take an opportunity to flex your writing muscle and exercise your skills. The goals of the writing prompts are: Exercise your writing ...