Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Water

The storm rolled in quickly, didn’t it kitty? Are you OK? I’ve never seen you run so fast when the thunder rolled across the sky. I’m glad I was able to coax you out from under the bed. Of course, I’m not sure of it was my dulcet tones or the can of tuna that enticed you out of hiding. Are you warm enough? It’s cold in here. I’m always amazed by how quickly the temperature drops during a thunderstorm. Did you here that? Damn it! The generator went out again. Well, I’m not going out into the storm to fix it this time. We have our blankets and it’s warm enough in the room to push through the night. Ouch, kitty it’s just thunder. Put your claws away.
At least the wiring will be done by tomorrow. At least that’s what I heard before the accident. I’m not sure how far the accident will put us behind. You would thing an electrician would know to check to see if he was standing in water before flipping a switch. I bet he remembers to check in the future. I’ve heard of people’s hair standing on end when zapped by electricity, but I thought it was a cartoon effect. I think I actually saw smoke coming out of his scalp as the paramedics wheeled him out.
Where do you think the water came from, kitty? I think there’s a broken pipe somewhere in the basement. I couldn’t find any leaks coming through the ceiling so it can’t be coming from the first floor. We might have some drainage issues coming from the outside, but I didn’t see any cracks in the walls so I doubt the water is coming from the outside. It didn’t start raining until after the worker was electrocuted.
I made sure the basement door was locked after the workers left this time. I reminded them to make sure all of the padlocks were in place before they left, but I’m sure with all the chaos today they must have forgotten.
Do you hear that kitty? I think there’s water running somewhere. We need to go shut it down before there’s more flooding. Where’s my flashlight? There, let’s go kitty. I don’t want another roll of thunder to send you skittering under the bed again. What’s the deal with this flashlight? I just replaced the batteries. Sorry kitty. I didn’t mean to scare you. I think this flashlight only works if I beat it against the wall. Let’s go see what’s going on.
Bathroom number one: check. Nothing going on here. I’ll double check the shower one more time. No drips coming from there. It sure is muggy in here, though. Maybe with the ne HVAC system we’ll be able to clear out the condensation in this house. I noticed some moisture gathered at the corners of the windows this morning. I should have known a storm was brewing.
I went to the coffee shop this morning, but I didn’t see Claire there. I was hoping she would at least show up, but maybe she had to work today.
Bathroom number two. Whoa, what happened here? Well kitty, you won’t want to go in here. There’s at least two inches of water seeping out from under the tub. I better call Mark and tell him to get his plumber down here right away.
What’s the deal with my phone? It was fully charged this morning. The gas station attendant is going to get sick of me asking to use his phone. Let’s go to the bedroom. I think the worst of the thunder is over. You’ll be safe in the bedroom.
Towels, towels, towels. Ugh. What? Where did the water go? The floor is completely dry. Did I just imagine the water or did it all go into the floorboards? I better go down to the basement and try to figure out what’s going on. Hey, I know I locked this door. Somebody had to have come back in while I was at the store and unlocked it. Man, the draft in here is really bad. I should have put on a shirt before heading down here. I think I can cut glass, dang. Ah, spider webs! Man if I run into one more of these things I’m going to go crazy. I’m going to have to find someone to take care of the kitty while I have this place bug-bombed. Oh, I thought we got rid of that smell. The rain must have stirred up something in the yard.
Hey kitty, I’m glad you stayed in the bed. I couldn’t find any water anywhere in the house. Even the puddle in the basement was dry. Mark is talking to me about buying this house, but I’m not sure if that’s the best idea for us kitty. He did offer me the project manager job and the salary’s going to be amazing. Right now we are down to 20 more days. We missed a day in there. Let’s make sure to stay on top of our countdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Writing Prompt: Traditions

Take an opportunity to flex your writing muscle and exercise your skills. The goals of the writing prompts are: Exercise your writing ...