Sunday, February 21, 2016

Hunger

I don't know how I'm going to survive an entire month in this house. Mark’s guy isn't going to be able to start the rewiring job until next week and I don't dare trust the fridge with what little bit of food I'm can afford. Life would have been much easier if I hadn't moved mom into the apartment across town and sold the house. It would have been nice to be able to just go next door and get a home cooked meal. I could order Chinese if my phone could hold a charge long enough to get a call out. Dang thing is less than a year old. I should have hit up Cell Phone Repair while I was out and about yesterday.
I'm going to starve to death before the electricians get here next week. I can't afford to hit up the fast food joints every night. I can only stretch my budget so far.
Every time I go past the basement door I swear it's open. I'm going to have to check the foundation. Somehow this house is settling and  the door jams are all twisted. There's no way Mark is going to be able to salvage the original footprint of this house. It's a good thing the city gave up on restoring the house and decided not to put it on the Historical registry. It would be impossible to restore this place. It's a total gut job. I wonder in Mark is really going to be able to invest the time and money into this place and get enough of a return to make the work worth it. I know he thought it was just going to be a quick flip, but no one is going to want to buy this place unless he does a major overhaul.
At least most of the smell is gone. Maybe all the place needed was a good airing out. The house has been empty long enough I bet a few college kids have broken in and hosted a party or two. There's probably a few slices of pizzas hidden away in corners transforming into completely new life forms. Im going to head to the library and pull up the original blueprints for the house. I've made it through every room of the house and the footprint seems off. It seems the outside of the house is bigger than the space inside. I've sketched out what I think the house should look and it seems there is some missing space. Maybe one of the previous owners tried to expand a bathroom and closed off a closet or something, but there's something just awkward about the layout here.
Man, I'm starving. All I can think about is food. I’m going to walk down to the coffee shop and get something to eat. I’ll worry about money later. I can plug in my phone there and call Mark. I need to find out when he's going to drop off the generator.
I need to get a bike. I don't want to waste any gas when everything I need is so close. A bus pass would probably help too, but the bussing schedule is so sporadic a pass might not be worth the investment. What's the deal with this back door? This lock is worthless. I’m just going to nail it shut.
What's that noise? I knew it. I knew a cat was going to get in here? “Here, kitty, kitty, kitty.” Now I sound just like my mom. She was always trying to rescue Old Man Rivers’ cats. I can't believe this cat is letting me pick him up. He's so tiny. My gosh, he looks like he's only a couple of months old. He looks healthy enough, but I better get him to the vet.Mom will pick up the bill. She always has a little money tucked away for vet bills. I guess I could always ask her for some food money but it would be a little pathetic for a 27 year old man to ask his mommy for groceries. I need to wait until I get this electrical issue worked out before buying perishables. I better put cat food on my list. I guess I'm going to have to use the car today any way. I’ll head over to mom’s and get a cat carrier and call her vet from there. I'll borrow her phone and leave mine there to charge.
I'm only going to be here 28 more days. I need to talk to Mark about the house budget. We need to sit down and go through what he really wants to happen before I start knocking down walls. Come on kitty, let's go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Writing Prompt: Traditions

Take an opportunity to flex your writing muscle and exercise your skills. The goals of the writing prompts are: Exercise your writing ...