Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Fog

I know we are close to the river, but I have never seen fog this thick before. Kitty, you don’t want to go out there. I don’t think I could find you if I took off. You would blend in with the white of the mist. Did you see that, Kitty? I think I see something moving out there. Do you think it might be Claire? She didn’t come by last night and I really missed her. No, it’s not her. What’s moving out there? There’s something moving out there. I can see it. Kitty, you stay here and guard the house. I’ll go see what’s out there. Where’s my flashlight?
Well, this isn’t going to work. How many flashlights do I have to test before I find one that works? There’s no way this one is dead. Ok kitty, I’m going to go see what’s going on outside.
Oh brr, I can feel the cold biting through me. I’m still not used to the cold. I lived in Texas too long. I hope it doesn’t take too long to acclimate back to Idaho weather. What am I talking about, Idaho’s weather isn’t consistent enough to become acclimated to.
Ack, spider webs. I hate walking through spider webs. I thought we got rid of all the spiders. I guess the exterminators don’t get rid of the critters outside.
Ouch, that hurt. What did I run into this time? My neck is burning. I think it actually got colder. Is there someone out here? I can hear you moving around out there. Where are you?  
Where are those sounds coming from? Stop, Control your breathing. You won’t be able to hear anything if you’re breathing louder than the critters out here. Maybe it’s a raccoon or a badger. I hope it’s not a badger. Those creatures are vicious.
I can hear snuffling and soft grunts. What else is out here? I’ve never heard an animal sound like that before. It sounds like something in pain. And fear. I hear fear in the sound.
Whoa, there are a pair of eyes shining out of the mists. Whatever the animal is it has to be huge. The eyes are high off the ground. Maybe it’s a cat up in a tree. Here kitty! Come on down. Whatever it was it’s gone now. I don’t hear him anymore.
There’s a breeze coming in off the mountains. The fog is starting to clear. I wish it would warm up a little. The weather report said it was supposed to be a clear day tomorrow. Of course it said it was supposed to be clear today, too.
Oh Claire! You made it! You must be cold. Where’s your jacket? Look, the kitty is waiting for us. She’s sitting in the kitchen window staring at us. Maybe he’s warming up to you. I missed you Claire. Why didn’t you come over last night?
I don’t understand. You’re an adult. I don’t know why you would say they wouldn’t let you go. Who wouldn’t let you go? Please, let me help you.
Let’s start by getting you inside and getting you warmed up. Take my hoody. Where did this blood come from? Kitty, I have claw marks on my neck. Where did these come from? I know you didn’t give them to me. I must have brushed up against some branches while I was outside. Well, we won’t have time to take care of the dead trees in the next three days. We’ll only be out of the house for a few weeks. Mark is having me move in to one of his other flip houses to guard it while they finish off this house. I’ll make this place safe for both of us Claire, if you’ll have me. Yes, I’ll let you take care of my neck. Your fingers are cool. I’m surprised, I thought they’d be warmer. Let’s go to bed. We’ll talk about this in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Writing Prompt: Traditions

Take an opportunity to flex your writing muscle and exercise your skills. The goals of the writing prompts are: Exercise your writing ...