Monday, March 14, 2016

Voices

Who’s here? I can hear you talking to me. What’s going on? Steph, is that you? I can hear you whispering. Kitty, what’s going on here? I can hear voices whispering but I can’t find anyone in the house. Stephanie is the only person coming in to work and she can’t get much done on her own. I don’t know why Mark doesn’t fire the entire crew and get some new guys in here. I know these guys are the best crew in town, but there has to be limits. You can’t stop work just because a few strange things happen around a job site. Creepy things happen all the time, it doesn’t mean there are ghosts at work.
Hello? Stephanie, is that you? I I can hear your voice. What are you saying? It’s like your voice is coming from behind a wall. What was that? Are you calling for help? That’s not Stephanie’s voice. Claire? Is that you? No, it doesn’t sound like Claire. The voice is too high pitched. I can hear you crying. OK, this has to be a practical joke. Someone left a tape recorder against a wall, I just need to find it.
Kitty, where do you think the tape recorder is hidden? Who did this? Wait, I smell smoke. Is there a fire in the house? I smell smoke, but I don’t see where it’s coming from. I can’t take any chances. I need to call the fire department.
Kitty, let’s go wait outside. Oh, Claire, you’re here. I really need to talk to you. The fire department is going to be inspecting the house for a while. They don’t smell any smoke and can’t find any hot spots. Let’s go to the coffee shop. I’ll get you some hot chocolate. Are you going to stay with me tonight? I love having you over.
Why can’t you tell me where you work? Wait, they won’t let me in there with my cat. Could you hold him while I get our hot chocolate? Kitty? What in the world is wrong with you? Claire won’t hurt you. Wow, I don’t know what is going on with you. I guess we’re not going into the coffee shop.
We can sit outside. I know it’s getting dark, but it’s still a nice night. Wait, I still smell smoke. Are we close enough to the house to smell smoke if there’s a fire? Let’s go back.
Claire, you know I’m moving in a few days. My new place is only a few blocks from here. I want you to move in there with me. I know this is really fast, but you already spend nearly every night at the house. Where do you live anyway? Claire, wait. Don’t go. Why won’t you tell me anything about yourself? Don’t cry. What do you mean by they won’t let you go? Who won’t let you go? I want to help you Claire. Why won’t you tell me your secrets.
Look, the firefighters are leaving. I’m sure they will want to talk to me before they go. The captain is coming this way.
Claire, wait. Where did she go?
Well, kitty. They didn’t find any evidence of fire. One of the firefighters did say he thought he smelled smoke at one point, but there wasn’t any evidence of fire. Where did Claire go? I wonder if she went into the coffee shop when I wasn’t watching. The captain didn’t see what direction she went. She disappeared really fast.
They searched the entire house. I asked if they found a tape recorder but all they did was give me a strange look. Well. At least we are back in the house. Who is crying? I know there is no one here. Oh, Claire. You made it back. Listen, I won’t push you anymore. I want you to stay with me. I want you to be a part of my life. Every time you dash out of here in the morning you take a piece of me with you.
Did you here that? I swear it was the sound of someone crying. I think I heard chains, too? Claire, what’s going on? You look like your hurt. Why are you crying? I wish you would talk to me. I have the feeling someone is hurting you. Where do you work? Where do you live?

I’m sorry. Something is very wrong in this house. I don’t think it’s ghosts or spirits. I have a hard time believing in something I can’t see or touch. Theoretically they can exist, but if they do it’s beyond the human capacity to be experienced. There has to be another explanation for what is going on in this house. Well, 7 more days and we will be moving on to our new place. I know you’re not ready to talk about this yet Claire, but I really want you to consider moving in with me. I will have plenty of room and I will be making enough money to take care of both of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Writing Prompt: Traditions

Take an opportunity to flex your writing muscle and exercise your skills. The goals of the writing prompts are: Exercise your writing ...