Thursday, December 7, 2017

The Challenge

The city is left behind. We traverse the windy trail full of unseen dangers and enemies who know this land better than us. Strangers on foreign soil, we are ignorant of the monsters hidden along tree-lined paths. There is no help, no relief, from those who dwell upon this shore. All are the enemy.
The march is long and the clime harsh on our souls. It is all at once too hot, too cold, too windy and too dry. I cannot shed my armor as I march, for to do so would be to risk being struck by enemy fire. My head, my heart, my soul must be protected at all times. Sweat pours from me as if I was a pregnant cloud, heavy with the gathered waters of the sea, cooling my skin so at night I lie in my blankets shivering from the cold brought in by the setting of the sun.
There is no relief from this march. Always, we must put one foot in front of the other until we reach our ultimate destiny. The fear of waiting for us at the end of the march is almost as great as the fear of what we are finding in the tree-lined path as we traverse the windy road.
Today it was a good day. Only the three men in the front of the line were killed by enemy marksmen. They ranged ahead to warn us of any danger. Their deaths were warnings of the monsters on the trail. Our men heard the death cries of the men and were able to take cover before the enemy could attack.
We stayed the course and our scouts found the nest of enemy vipers. There wasn’t much of a fight and when they dragged the bodies of the enemy from their encampment to where we had hid ourselves we could see why.
The enemy were little more than ragged, half-starved creatures of questionable age. If these soldiers were all the enemy could find to fight their war it won’t take much to disarm them.
There is a long road to travel still and there are many enemies to encounter before we arrive at our destination.
The ragged clothes and the hollow cheeks of our enemy could just mean they were far from their base. We are headed into the nest of the contagion and as we get closer to the source of the infection in this land I can only imagine we are going to confront even more obstacles.
Even now, as I shovel the dirt over the body of these monsters, for monster could be the only word I find for these beasts who would allow the atrocities I have seen occur, I can only wonder what compelling force could keep even such as these loyal to their cause.
Hunger and pain is the true test of loyalty. I wonder how the men I march with would stand in the face of such adversity. Our supply lines still run strong. Our uniforms and armor is still intact. Our souls are still being fed daily by the message of our call. Fear and hunger and cold do not drive us to turn to other sources for sustenance.
Fear and hunger and cold has been the constant companion of our enemy. They strike from hidden nests and from deep within caves. Supplies are slow to come and I have seen the source of some of their food. And yet, they stand unwavering in their cause.
I must remember the rallying cry of my people. I must remember the face of my wife and my children. They are who keep me whole this far from home. The arms of these foreign shores are cold and hard. I must armor myself against the hidden attacks they thrust at us from all sides. I must protect my body, mind and soul.

We march again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Writing Prompt: Traditions

Take an opportunity to flex your writing muscle and exercise your skills. The goals of the writing prompts are: Exercise your writing ...